THE APPROACH AND THE STUDENT TARGET GROUPS OF THE HIGH SCHOOL OF COLLEGIUM EDUCATIONIS REVALIAE (CER GYMNASIUM) IN ESTONIAN EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM
CER is a culture and education centre integrating various learning opportunities with the aim
to give young people of high school age the opportunity to:
- Root their studies in cultural heritage and acquire education in cultural context
- Find out his or her unique individuality, develop and follow it in the search of vocation
- Rely on Christian values in their search and studies and on free choice within this context
- Prepare for dignified and meaningful life on the personal level and be ready to fulfill his or her potential in the sociey in cooperation with others
and to enrichen the cultural life of the Old Town with activities focusing on traditional forms and content of arts and the continuity of cultural heritage in the way that
- Students of CER serve as the intermediaries of cultural heritage to other young people, preserving the connection of the young generations with their national heritage, and
- Old Town remains as the spring of culture in the national context as well as in the eyes of the outside world, increasingly as the destination of quality tourism
In order to achieve the abovementioned goals the resources of the state and the local authority have been complemented by the non-governmental initiatives, creating a quasi private-public setting, where general education based on the state curriculum, schools of fine arts and sciences and pre-vocational training facilitated either by CER or St. Michael’s Society form a joint learning and educational space for young people.
CER Gymnasium was opened on September 1, 1996.